Do you go to a karaoke bar? Do you plan on going to a karaoke bar? Do you want to judge your friends who go to karaoke bars? Here are a few rules to help you navigate the path of the karaoke singer with grace and ease, and avoid pissing people off when you perform or watch.
- Applaud for the singers.rationale
- Don't know how to request songs at a particular venue? Ask the KJ.anecdote
- Know the rhythm and cadence of the songs you request.rationale
- Know, before requesting a song, whether it is in the book.rationale
- Request only one song at a time.
- Don't block others from requesting songs.
- Don't request very long songs.
Waiting for Your Song
- Pay attention to the KJ's instructions.
- Do not leave the area if you are next.
- Know how to improvise.
- Don't take a microphone and sing without unambiguous prior consent from the person singing.
- Sing on the stage for at least part of your performance.
- Don't leave your drinks on the stage, they do not belong there.
- Don't leave the microphone on the stage floor - there is probably a place for it.
- Tip the KJ.
- Tip the bartenders.
- Don't be belligerent with the KJ.